The John Lennon Peace Wall | Prague 2010

The John Lennon Peace Wall | Prague 2010
John Lennon Peace Wall | Prague 2010 | Photo by Deborah S. Greenhut

About Me

United States
Deborah S. Greenhut, PhD, is a playwright, arts documentarian, and educator who began teaching in a one-room school house in rural New England during 1970. These days you can find me collaborating with urban educators and students, seeking new ways to make education artful. I have consulted on management skills and communication arts in 44 of the United States and 5 provinces in Canada. I believe that people learn more effectively through drama-assisted instruction, and I exploit the Internet to deliver it. The views expressed here are entirely mine and not those of any other institution or organization.

Monday, March 21, 2011

Explaining War to Children Part 1


War is hard on nearly everyone. After we move beyond notions of heroism and patriotism, I find it difficult to talk about human values alongside battle statistics when I am teaching children about history. If you talk to high school students today, many will tell you that twentieth century history—whether it’s the American or World platform—is the study of war…war…war. We are better at speaking about the causes than the effects. So, as we watch another un-war unfold, I am making a personal connection to the subject and to families left behind. In 1952, my father was drafted to serve as a M.A.S.H. physician during the Korean Conflict. He had already served as a medic in World War II,  and this was his second compulsory service. Howard Schneider, MD was a patriot, and he was not going to avoid this call to duty.

Howard Schneider, MD World War II

During the Korean Conflict, Howard wasn’t told where he was going until he reached Seattle with “secret orders.” He opened them before he left Alaska, and he quickly called my mother with the news: Korea. The plan had been that my mother and I would follow him to Japan after he was settled. My mother had packed her dishes. We weren’t allowed to go.  Here is a copy of the first postcard my father ever sent me, featuring the Seattle-Tacoma Airport in 1953:









He didn’t return for 18 months, and anxiety and fear ruled all of our days. For me, it was the beginning of a nightmare that I dreamed every night for nearly 30 years. In that dream, people were trying to find me to tell me my father was dying, but they couldn’t get to me in time. My father did everything he could to keep our connection going. We spoke to him only once by telephone during that entire time. My first real memory of my father has me standing on an airbase tarmac and putting my hand through a fence to touch him because I recognized his voice.
My father died when I was 45, just after his 80th birthday. I wasn’t able to get to the hospital in time to be with him in his last moments. Becoming a widower, he had told me, resembled the isolation he felt in Korea. I didn’t want him to be alone. War is cruel in so many ways and for so much longer than the incidents a soldier and a family suffer. Sometimes there aren’t any words, and pictures are a better way to express the unexplainable.



No comments:

Post a Comment