The John Lennon Peace Wall | Prague 2010

The John Lennon Peace Wall | Prague 2010
John Lennon Peace Wall | Prague 2010 | Photo by Deborah S. Greenhut

About Me

United States
Deborah S. Greenhut, PhD, is a playwright, arts documentarian, and educator who began teaching in a one-room school house in rural New England during 1970. These days you can find me collaborating with urban educators and students, seeking new ways to make education artful. I have consulted on management skills and communication arts in 44 of the United States and 5 provinces in Canada. I believe that people learn more effectively through drama-assisted instruction, and I exploit the Internet to deliver it. The views expressed here are entirely mine and not those of any other institution or organization.

Thursday, March 17, 2011

“People learn from the people they love.” – David Brooks, multiple sources


In honor of the holiday today, I’m writing only a brief note in remembrance of my Irish ancestors, my grandfather, my mother’s foster parents, and my mother. So here’s to Alice and Edward Kelly, who offered their hearts to my mother, Virginia Clancy, when her newly widowed father, William Clancy, was unable to raise his fourth child due to the 1925 death in childbirth of his beshert, Annette Pearlman.

Although they raised my mother during the Depression, the Kellys made sure that my mother had a puppy and a beautiful baby doll and carriage, and they taught her to read before she went to school. Edward Kelly died when my mother was only 10 years old, and Alice and William agreed it would be best for Virginia to stay on with Alice. My grandfather raised Raymond, Margaret, and Mary with his second wife, Jean Clancy. Mary, like her mother, died young. Following her marriage to my father, my mother included William and often my aunt and uncle in our family gatherings until he died in 1960. Alice died a few weeks before I was born. Virginia Clancy grew up taking on every educational opportunity she could grab, and she became a nurse. Alice had made sure Virginia knew how to read before she went to school, and Virginia paid this forward by teaching me to read early.



William Clancy



Virginia Clancy Kelly

Annette Pearlman


No comments:

Post a Comment